Friday, January 9, 2009

The Tumor Shrunk!!

We received GREAT news yesterday that my tumor responded very well to the Gamma Knife Surgery. The doctors were hoping for lack of growth and instead they found it had shrunk and the swelling is gone! Yeah! Here are some photos from my MRI scans. Can you believe this?? This is my brain...amazing..

Here is the tumor and the edema from my diagnosis in November....



Here is a similar image from my MRI yesterday...you see how it shrunk. Yes, it is very strange to look at these and realize that this is my brain and there is an intruder in there...but at least the tumor will hopefully be completely gone within 6 months since its responding so well to the surgery!



The Bad Steroid News....


So the bad news is that I'm having/have had so many horrific symptoms on the steroids. I found out that my symptoms are not typical. My Dr. said that I am incredibly sensitive to the steroids and that they don't typically see this type of reaction. Hence why she felt like I was having an allergic reaction and tapered me off so quickly.

The Dr. said it'll take 4-6 weeks for me to start feeling normal again--ugh--and she's worried about what damage the Decadron did to me because I seem to be so symptomatic as compared to the average patient. Can I tell you that RARE should be my middle name??

We did some tests yesterday to check for further problems....hopefully everything will turn out ok and I'll start feeling better soon. For now I'm on 1 mg. a day of steroid until my adrenal glands start working again. I have to be tested for that still after some other things are resolved....

Looking at BIG PICTURE we are so very happy about the tumor shrinking and wanted to share that happy news with all of you!
Thanks for all of your prayers to this end!!!

Smiles and Hugs,
Heidi
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Jenn Pengelly said...

I can't tell you how happy I am to hear your good news. I was checking your blog ALL DAY to see if there was any news! I am so relieved! Hang in there, 4-6 weeks will be over before you know it!

stina said...

That's so great. Hopefully in just a few weeks you'll feel well enough to enjoy the relief of it all. Hang on!

The Whittle Clan said...

That is a big Congratulations. I am so happy to hear your awesome news. I hope you are celebrating big time. I hope you start feeling better each and every week.

Katie said...

Heidi! I am so relieved to read your news about the tumor shrinking! Our prayers and thoughts are with you as you wait for the steroid symptoms to fade away.

Marc and Stacy said...

Heidi, I'm so glad I got to talk to you today. You look beautiful as always. I'm so sorry that you have been going through so much---so much more than even before. I wish I could be there more to help out.
You seriously are such a ray of sunshine though.
Always in our prayers.
Love ya!

Stefani said...

Wow! That is FABULOUS news! Congratulations, I'm so happy for you!

Lisa said...

AWESOME!! I'm so happy for your good news. I have been thinking and praying for your family a lot and this is great!

Thank you for the lunch on Thursday and the baby gifts. You are a kind and generous person and I'm glad we are friends. Rich loved the baby stuff, but not as much as me...guys!! I can't wait for Ava to wear all the cute shoes...THANKS!!! We will keep you posted and will send out a mass email when we head to Utah...I'm so EXCITED!!