Saturday, June 13, 2009

Huntsman Cancer Institute

Well I'm here in Utah and we've been here 6 days now. I've been up to Hunstman already twice!! It's an amazing facility and I feel very blessed to be able to receive treatment there. Monday I met my new oncologist, Dr. Buys, and she is an oncologist for Breast Cancer patients, so I have someone very specialized on my team. She is amazing and took two hours talking to me and going over different options for my care. I really like her! She's referred me to a Dr. Jensen, a Neurosurgeon at Hunstman that specializes, among other things, on breast cancer metasis to the brain, which is what I have. So I'm excited to meet him too at the beginning of July.

Here I am in front of the Institute by the valet parking. They are so NICE here, and the facility is beautiful. I guess if you have to have a horrific disease like this they at least want your experience at the Dr. to be pleasant. Thurs I received my herceptin IV injection. Their chemo suite is very nice, they have TV's that come out from the wall you can watch while you get chemo. Scott came with me so we chatted and I wrote out Thank You cards while I rec'd my treatment. Maybe next time I'll take a nap!!
Scott took this photo from where our car was parked. We are WAY up on the Mt. as high as you can go in SLC..it's amazing. I remember being at BYU graduation and Jon Huntsman received some type of award for his contribution to society by donating the money for this research institution. Little did I know that this center would become a very personal and life changing part of my life. How grateful I am for people that make donations and sacrifices of their personal money to help others. I feel truly blessed!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Teresa said...

Hey Heidi! Looks like you are doing well in Utah. I hope the house search goes well! What part of utah are you guys in right now? I have lots of family in Lehi, and we'll be going up there in August on the way to a family reunion, so I'd love to come see you if I can. Email ASAP with all your new contact info. Talk to you soon!=)