Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Stereotactic Radiosurgery...Again..one year later!

Yesterday Scott and I met with my new Radiation Oncologist, Dr. Shriev at Huntsman Cancer Center. He told us our different options for treatment and we agreed that the best course of action is for me to receive additional radiation to the tumor bed, or tumor cavity.

The radiation therapy will be the same amount of radiation, or possibly a slightly higher dose, as I received back in Dec of 2008. When the pathologist looked at my tumor after surgery he found a good amount of viable cancer cells so its important that I have this radiation treatment. In CA it was called Gamma Knife. Here they call it Stereotactic Radiosurgery. It's the same type of treatment, but with a different brand machine and a slightly different process.

Tuesday I was fitted for a head and face mask that I'll wear during my treatment. I also had a CT scan. Today I have an MRI and my doctors will take all these different tests and they will calculate the right treatment plan/dosage for me. My radiation therapy will be a one time treatment on November 9th. I will lose my hair again in the treatment area, but I'm hoping that this time the section will be much smaller and hopefully it'll fall out ONCE and not in little bits over a 5 month period! So I'mtrying to be optimistic!

Considering some of the other possible treatment options, Scott and I feel like this is a great option for me and hopefully will be successful. My radiation oncologist and brain surgeon recommend it so we feel good about it!

4 comments:

stina said...

Heidi,
I've been waiting for an update and am glad to hear that you have an option that you feel good about. This type of procedure certainly sounds better than some other options. Keep us posted, ok? There are lots of people thinking of and praying for you and your family!!
Kristina

Katie said...

Thanks for the update. I am glad to hear that you like/trust the doctors. When is the day of surgery? We'll be praying.

mb said...

Hi Heidi- thanks for the update. Radiation sounds like a great option. Keep posting updates and it's great to see/hear about everything. And I also look forward to seeing some great Halloween pics from the family! much love, Marisa

Jo Deann said...

Hi there. I'm glad that you found an option that you feel good about. We will pray for you and your family. Let us know how the surgery goes. :)