Wednesday, February 24, 2010

My New Lifesavers

Well, becoming a homeschooling mom changes some of my priorities and the way I manage my time for sure. I am pretty good at time management but I have gotten even better about it since I HAVE to to keep my sanity and to keep this family rolling while teaching a 5th grader.

My new lifesaver is the library! I love our public library system! It's awesome! I can look up books or videos that have to do with the topics I'm teaching and even if they are at a different library in another town, they will pull it from the shelf and ship it down to my library here in Centerville. It's great!!

I'm at the library at least twice a week and I use their online system to look for books, renew books and put holds on books. I can't believe what a great system they have. I guess I never needed this before when I was in CA. Maybe they had that system there and I didn't know it. But this library system is amazing. I'm definitely enjoying spending time at the library with my kids much more than I did in CA. In fact, last week I maxed out my library cards( embarrassing) and so I have to open cards in my other kid's names now so that I can check out more than 70 items at a time. I know that seems crazy but with all the subjects we are doing, plus the little boy's books and Cameron's chapter books for his reading..it adds up!!

My other lifesaver is the passwords for the TEACHERS EDITION of Kaylie's math book!! I am SAVED because now I can correct her homework online in 2 minutes instead of 20 minutes of doing the problems myself and actually having to THINK about them!! I do enough thinking as a mom..don't I deserve a break?? =)

Anyhow..those are things I'm grateful for today! Just thought I'd share!

3 comments:

ricciquill said...

Heidi,
I had no idea you Home Schooled your kids. I do too, this is my 3rd year doing it. We love it. I too LOVE the Library I use them for all Garrett's books we need. I would love to chat with you more on Home School.
Hope it is going well.

Lisa said...

I'm glad you have discovered the joy found at the library. I too am a big library fan and the Sacramento County library system is similar to Utah's system. I am always ordering stuff online and having it sent to our local library. It is like shopping but for free...AWESOME! I get a lot of cookbooks to try and things for Ava. We also can borrow all the latest DVDs which is great. Sometimes we do have to wait for a while but we don't mind.

Anyway, I'm glad you have some new lifesavers. Libraries are a wonderful FREE resource.

Jenn Pengelly said...

Heidi what an amazing mom you are! You've got extremely lucky kids! I'm so impressed with all you do for your family. They must be so proud of you! We love the library too! Collin loves book and getting anything new is such a treat. Jack hasn't quite learned to appreciate books the correct way yet (he tries to eat them) but he is learning. I wish you the best in the Homeschooling front. I'm starting to look into it myself. I'm worried about sending Collin to public school and being swallowed up.