Wednesday, October 27, 2010

New Tumor Growth

I went in for my follow-up MRI on Monday and we met with the Neurosurgeon and Radiation Oncologist on Tuesday and the results were not good. I seem to have really determined cancer cells and they are just not giving up.

In September at my 2 month post-op scan my Dr. saw a spot that was concerning and so he wanted to watch it and rescan me in Oct. I just had that scan and what we found was pretty surprising! My tumor that was just operated on in July, is already growing back.

The tumor is growing back on the same tumor bed as before but in a slightly different location. It is the same tumor though, not a new tumor. When I had my operation in July there was a small section where the Dr. was unable to get a large margin. This was due to the fact that the resection was right along a major artery in my brain. They can't get any closer than they did in surgery. They took out all visible cancer cells and had hoped that that would take care of it. However, there is new growth in that area and they can not eliminate the whole tumor because of the situation with the to the artery.

So, the current treatment option is to have stereo tactic radio surgery for the THIRD time. This radiation will be whole brain radiation localized to a smaller area. In short, I will have a large section of my brain radiated in November. This time there will be 5 daily treatments of a high dose radiation. (And yes I will lose a lot of my hair!)

We are hoping that *the third time is the charm* for this as our options will be more limited now since operation is not possible with the artery involvement. We are pretty shocked to find out how quickly it has grown and my Dr's can not guarantee success with repeat radiation, but we are trying to stay hopeful.

I appreciate all the love and prayers and am grateful for the friendships I have with each one of you! You never know what life will bring, I hope you can all live life to the fullest! Hugs, Heidi

9 comments:

Amy/Austin said...

We love you so much! All our prayers are with you. You two are truly amazing!

Sue said...

Heidi,
I frequent your blog to see the good news and the bad. Once again, you will make it through this. Keep up your strength, everyone loves you...and I as always miss you. Sue

mb said...

Sorry Heidi! But thanks for sharing - stay positive (you always do) and strong. Much love!

Kendall said...

Heidi, I always check on you to see how you are doing and you are in my prayers daily. I am so sorry about the set back but stay positive in prayer and mind you will prevail. Thinking of you, Kendall

TJ said...

We love you and hope to be out early next summer. The kids all wanted to visit now. Wish we could. I hope you'll be feeling up to a visit in the near future. Tiff

Aly said...

Heidi,
I am so sorry about this latest setback. You have so many people praying for you. Your strength and faith will get you through.

kristen said...

I am so sorry that you are having to go through so many trials. You are such an example to all of us on how to persevere and stay positive even amongst REALLY hard things. Hang in there, we love you and are as always thinking of you and keeping you and your wonderful family in our prayers.

Erin said...

Heidi,
I'm glad we are reconnecting through your blog. I am so sorry to hear you have to have a repeat radiation on the same tumor. I marvel at your positive attitude and all that you are still able to accomplish. I know it is hard for you to "take it easy" and I'm sure all the icky radiation effects are even harder. Stay strong as I know you will.

Jo Deann said...

We love you tons and are always thinking of you. We will keep you in our prayers always. Thanks for keeping us updated on the good and the bad...what are friends for if not to be there when we really need their prayers!!! Miss you tons.