Monday, March 21, 2011

Chemo Routine

Well, today marks my 5th day of chemo as I started last Thursday. I am still pretty early into all of this so I am still figuring out how it will affect me and what the side effects will be. So for now I am not really sure how things will be. I'm taking it a day at a time..sometimes an hour or two at a time!

My routine with chemo this time is very different than the chemo I took three years ago. All of my chemo drugs are oral. I don't have to do anything intravenously. The good news about that is that it is not nearly as invasive to my life. I don't' have to constantly go to the Dr. and get hooked up to an IV. So that is great! I have 2 different drugs that I take daily, a total of 11 pills. I take them daily for 14 days. Then I take a week off from one of the drugs to allow my immune system time to recover. After the 21 days then I start over again on the immune-compromising drug again. So it's kind of a routine like that until my Dr. decides yea/neigh this is working, it isn't working, etc.

So, that's the update on me and my crazy life. I am grateful there are more treatment options out there for me, although I'm not thrilled about the idea of chemo to my brain, I'm grateful that there are drugs out there that may be able to help me!!

So we are keeping our fingers crossed that this Xeloda and Tykerb mix will have more impact on the growth of this tumor than my radio surgeries have!!

No comments: