Thursday, January 3, 2008

A Month at a Glance

Well I haven't been very good about updating the blog lately. So here are the highlights from the month of December.

**I hit my lowest point ever with my energy level and fatigue. I couldn't sit up at the table to eat with the family. Taking a shower put me in bed for an hour afterwards to recover. It was the craziest thing ever. I asked for blood tests to be run which proved the point...I was very anemic, my hemadacrite was 26 and I had a hemoglobin level of 8.9. I was started on Procrit shots to avoid having to have a blood transfusion.

**One week later my body had started thinking for itself again!! My hemadacrite returned to a safe level, around 34, and my hemoglobin was up to 11.9!! Hooray! I didn't have to undergo any more rounds of Procrit (scary side effects from that shot) And no transfusions! yeah!!

**I got my energy back in time to enjoy Christmas with my family. Amy and Austin and Ryan and Laura visited from Utah. My parents and Grandparents visited from Livermore. It was a very nice holiday considering the circumstances. I was exhausted for a few days following Christmas, but felt very blessed to be able to enjoy the day with my family.

**I rang in the New Year by starting my next phase of chemotherapy on Dec 31st. I will undergo 12 weeks of treatments every Monday! I'm going to be on a drug called Taxol, as well as a targeted therapy called Herceptin. The side effects of this treatment is different than the treatment I underwent during Nov/Dec. It'll take a few weeks to know for sure how it will all effect me. Check back in a few weeks for updates.

Thanks for all the love and prayers! We are grateful for all of you!
Smiles,
Heidi

1 comment:

Kelli said...

Heidi-I just got your Christmas Card in the mail today. I can't beleive you had the energy to send out cards this year after everything you have been through! Your true strength is still shining through! Please email me when you have the energy, I would love to chat! d.dezember@juno.com
Your Friend, Kelli