Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Surgery is a Go for Friday!

Well we met with the Dr. Zusman yesterday and she is the Neurosurgeon for my Gamma Knife team. The board of doctors, scientists, etc. met and the vote was unanimous that the Gamma Knife surgery is the best option for me! Yeah!

So Friday morning I'll go in for this surgery. I'll be fitted for a helmet on my head, I'll go through an intense MRI screening. I'll wait while the scientists and doctors plan the attack for my tumor. Then I'll go through about an hour of intense radiation to the area. Within an hour of being done they send me home! It's an easy outpatient procedure!

I'll be a bit tired, nauseated for a day and then back to life as I know it! That's the miracle of this surgery. I'll have a follow-up MRI in 4 weeks to check the tumor. The goal is that the tumor will have not grown...if that's the case, the surgery will have worked well. Then at month two the goal will be to see shrinkage or signs of the tumor dying off. The entire tumor elimination process will take 6-8 months so we'll monitor things as they go along.

Thanks for all the support, prayers and encouragement! We feel very grateful that I get to have Gamma Knife Surgery! Yeah!

2 comments:

The Whittle Clan said...

Good luck on Friday! I know everything will turn out great. You will be in my thoughts and my prayers.

Erin said...

Today is the day. I've been saying prayers for you this morning. Hope the nausea isn't too bad when you get out. I'm happy for your hopeful news!