Thursday, January 1, 2009

A Very Sick Heidi..

Well, I won't get into the details because its pretty personal but since Christmas I have been very ill in many ways. Two days ago Scott and I spoke to my Neurosurgeon who said she believes I'm having an allergic reaction to the Decadron Steroid I'm on and that I need to taper off of it incredibly quickly down to 1 mg. a day.

I started on 16 mg daily, then after 2 weeks I was on 12 mg. day and then after 3 weeks I was on 9 mg day. I've been on 9 mg daily for 2 weeks. Well, I am being tapered from 9 to 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 by next week. This is because I'm having such intense side effects the Dr. feels that I'm having an allergic reaction.

This taper will be really hard on my body and I have to stay on 1 mg. for a long while until my body starts making cortisol on its own again...but the Dr. seems encouraged that although my side effects will worsen before they get better that within a one week I'll be in a much better place with a lot of these symptoms.

Just for the record---living on Decadron--for my body and the intense problems I've had--is worse that being on chemo or anything else I have ever had to endure. I would rather go through chemo again than live through my life the past 2 weeks again.

Thanks for all the prayers--I especially need them now.
Love, Heidi

2 comments:

Tina Lopez said...

Heidi:

We are very sad to learn of your difficult time with this medicine. We pray that you will feel better very soon.

Love from your neighbors, Tina&Joe&Auristella

kristen said...

Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with you...
Love,
Kristen