Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Definitions...

I'm so glad to be off of steroids...however i must say that there is still a good amount of toxins left in my body, or else I would be losing weight for sure! After 3 weeks of consistent exercise and eating super healthy I haven't lost even one pound! I weigh just the same as I did at my Dr. apt 3 weeks ago TODAY! Grr..very frustrating...anyhow, in googling to find out WHY this is happening to me I came across this from a PDF file on a Breast Cancer website. I thought it was worth posting a few paragraphs from the article. My cancer is considered CNS (Cancer of the central nervous system). This is definitely what I have: Unwanted (and Unnatural) Weight Gain


UNWANTED WEIGHT GAIN
DEFINITION:
Unwanted weight gain is an increase in body weight that is of concern to an
individual. It may occur in some cancer patients as a result of the cancer
itself, cancer treatment (including surgery, chemotherapy, and hormone
therapy) or medications used to control the side effects of the cancer or
treatment (eg. steroids).

Weight gain appears most common in breast cancer and cancers of the central
nervous system (CNS),
gynecological cancers, lymphoma and Hodgkin’s disease.
Prevention and/or treatment of unwanted weight gain in patients with cancer is
important for improving quality of life, enhancing body image, facilitating
patients’ sense of control, and has the potential to enhance overall survival in
women with breast cancer (1,3,4).

POSSIBLE CAUSES
Steroid Use:
Weight gain frequently results from the use of steroids, such as Decadron®
(dexamethasone), prescribed for the control of nausea and/or inflammation in
patients with breast cancer, cancers of the CNS, lymphoma and Hodgkin’s
disease. Long-term use of steroids causes weight gain primarily due to an
increase in energy intake resulting from an enhanced appetite
Posted by Picasa

No comments: