Saturday, September 26, 2009

Brain Surgery

Well, this was a post I was hoping would never come to pass, but the time has come so now I'll update the blog with the latest. This next Thursday October 1st I'm having Brian Surgery to remove the tumor.

This decision has come after much prayer and consideration by myself and Scott. I feel at peace with my decision although I am very scared about the actual surgery, recovery, side effects, etc. I've had 3 different surgeries in the past 2 years and each one has had aspects that have been hard to deal with, but this one surely takes the cake.

Wednesday I'll go up to University of Utah Hospital and meet with the Anesthesiologist who will go over all my pre-op information. That'll be an educational appointment I'm sure. The Anesthesiologist is an important part of my medical team, no doubt.

Following that I'll go to radiology for yet another MRI to check pre-op positioning and help the Dr. in making his plan for the surgery. Thursday morning I check into the hospital and will go under the knife sometime that morning.

Surgery will involve them shaving my hair back in the surgical area--its really short there anyhow since I lost it all last fall after Gamma Knife. Then they will cut open the skin as they cut out a half-dollar sized piece of my skull--yes, yikes! After that Dr. Jensen will use a computer guided system to remove the tumor from my brain, trying desperately hard to irritate my optical nerve as little as possible.

Once the tumor is removed they'll suture around the piece of skull to hold it back into place and then I'll be sent to the Post-Anesthesia Care Unit while I come to. Knowing me and anesthesia I could be there all day!! After that point I'll be moved to the NeuroCritical Care Unit (ICU for brain patients) where they anticipate I'll spend 24 hours. The following day I'll have a follow-up MRI to make sure they were successful in removing the tumor.

Assuming I'm doing well I'll be moved then to the Neuro-Acute Care Unit which is a step down from the ICU. I'll recover there for probably 2 days and should return home Saturday evening if everything goes as planned.

Scott will be with me from Thursday through Sunday so that will be great to have his support and company as I'm recovering from this. My parents come into town next weekend and my mom will be staying with the kids and I for a week as Scott will have to go back to work on Monday. The Dr. anticipates I'll need consistent help for about 2 weeks after surgery and then it'll be another month before I'm back to myself. So it's about a 6 week ordeal.

I'm currently making my 'to do' list of all the things I want to accomplish before surgery. It's really hard to wrap my mind around this whole ordeal, but I'm grateful for the peace I've received as I've made this decision. I'm encouraged by the positives of having this tumor removed:
1-NO MORE STEROIDS! Yes!
2-No more headaches!!
3-No more seizures!
4-No more seizure medication--hence no more fatigue!
5-No more tumors in my brain-yeah!
6-We'll get a pathology on the tumor which will let us know what is really going on!
7-I can move on from this part of my life..I've known about this tumor for almost a year now and I'm ready to put it behind me

So there you have the positives and our family is trying to focus on those and meanwhile pray that things go well with the surgery. We'll keep you posted on the blog as we can. Thanks for all your support and love!!
Scott and Heidi

11 comments:

Jenn Pengelly said...

As always you are in my prayers! I admire your continued positive focus and strength.

Danielle said...

Wow! I know this is a big decision for you and Scott. I trust your instincts as I know you live very close to the spirit. You will be in our prayers and we will have our fast in honor of you tomorrow. Good luck!

Grandma said...

Heidi,
Do you need Jim to come up for Thurs. and Fri? Or even the week after your mom leaves. Please let us know. We will fast for you and the family tomorrow also. Love You!

Kelli said...

Wow I feel so lame...I have been so busy with the new baby I didn't even know you had moved from CA! Wow! A lot of changes in your family! I loved seeing Kaylie's B-day pics...Kendall just turned 10 too-imagine that. My prayers are with you for the surgery! Love ya!

mb said...

Thanks for posting this Heidi - I know this must have been a tough decision. Much love to you from CA!

Lisa said...

You are amazing! Thanks for being an example of strength, faith, and always looking at the positive side of things. You really are a "the glass is half full" kind of person and that is a special gift. You will be in our prayers!

Debra Bishop said...

There are many of us in Elk Grove who are continually praying with you. I know I've said it before, but you are a warrior my dear. May God lift your heavy burdens and make your path light.

Debra Bishop said...

There are many of us in Elk Grove who are continually praying with you. I know I've said it before, but you are a warrior my dear. May God lift your heavy burdens and make your pathways light.

Katie said...

Heidi and Scott, Our family fasted for you yesterday and we will be praying for a completely successful surgery this week.

Marc and Stacy said...

Heidi-I think about you a lot. I miss you and Kaylie. Thank you for keeping us all posted on your progress and procedures. Our prayers as always are with you and your family.
Love you,
Stacy

The Hogge Family said...

We'll definitely remember you in our prayers, especially these next few days. You are an amazing woman!