Sunday, February 27, 2011

Heidi's New Look...


Well I got a new wig this past weekend and so now I am sporting a new look! I have a very short bob type cut and it is so much easier to manage and it is SO much more comfortable than my heavier wig. Now I love the one that I bought 3 years ago because it was so much like my real hair before it fell out due to chemo. But when my hair grew in, as most of you know, my hair grew in dark and curly so I have had that look the the past few years.

My hair had actually grown long enough that I really loved it! It was so easy to do and it was long and curly and so fun! Then came the steroids into my life again and my hair just started falling out in clumps. Then in November my third radio surgery sealed the deal with my hair loss, so now I have a huge, and I mean huge, bald spot on the back of my head.Well I knew that I would eventually have to do something to deal with this new turn of events--really losing your hair once is painful, but twice?? Seriously?? So this past week I went to a hairdresser to find out what my options were regarding getting a weave put in our extensions or something? I do have a little bit of hair to work with.

Well what I found out was that it was going to be months before they could do anything--you can't work with peach fuzz....and that it was going to be really expensive on top of that. So I was discouraged about that.The hairdresser suggested I get a wig but I wasn't thrilled about that, I wanted something less cumbersome and light and easy and more realistic! Even though its not my real hair I just wanted to feel more normal and with a wig on I never felt normal.

Well, after thinking about it and talking to Scott and some friends of mine, I decided to try the option of looking at a shorter wig. Something more along the lines of what my hair will eventually grow to be and something better for the spring, summer, etc. Something that would be easy to fix, easy to wear and would help me to feel just more normal!! After going to the wig place and getting advice from Scott on what he thought I came home with my new wig!! I just love it and I am looking forward to having a new "do" that will grow with me. So I decided to have our family take a photo today of Mom's first day with her new hairdo and now you can all get used to my look with short hair! I think it may eventually grow on me...literally! =)
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Emma Westhora said...

I love it. It looks fabulous on you! I am glad your trip to Hawaii was so great, also!

Heidi Freeman said...

Love it!!

Debra Bishop said...

Heidi: Your new hair is just darling! Enjoy Maui, and eat plenty of good things for me. Love you, over and over again.
Debbe

kristen said...

I love it! You look beautiful! I can't wait to come see you in a few weeks=)