Monday, October 17, 2011

The Grandin Printing Press

This was one of my favorite tours on our trip to Palmyra.
We went to the Grandin Print Shop where the first 5000 copies of the Book of Mormon were printed. We had a fantastic tour there by a sister missionary.

Look at all the languages the Book of Mormon is now printed in!

I loved seeing the copies of the Book of Mormon there in the bookshop.

Scott and I at Grandin's Printing Press.

This is where the contract was signed for the printing of the Book of Mormon.

Original copies of the Book of Mormon..so neat!

The pages of the Book of Mormon were large before they were cut and they used to pull them up and down the different levels of the printing shop with pulleys and ropes!! It's amazing to see what they went through back in the day just to print the scriptures!

They demonstrated how these were inked up and used at the press for preparing the pages for printing.

Each of these cases was filled with lots of tiny trays of letters, what tedious work it would have been to line up the words letter by letter!! It's from the process of printing back in the late 1800's that we get the the phrase 'upper case' and 'lower case' because the letters were kept in either the upper or lower cases depending on which letter they were. I thought that was fun to learn!!

Scott standing in the printing press, it was really interesting to see how everything worked and how they would have made the pages back then!

This was the finished product...interesting how the lettering was not straight as they had to do each one individually and sometimes the worker didn't have the steadiest of hands. Boy how far things have come!!

Here they showed us how they bound the books, stretched the skins and put the leather covers on.

The process of binding them was so interesting. How they used string and their paper cutters of the day...its so amazing to me to see all that they did. An amazing effort and such a big job for a small town printing press in Palmyra. Scott and I were surprised, after all this time, how small and quaint Palmyra is even today!

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Thanks for sharing your trip photos. It is fun to look through all of them. It looks like you guys had a great time.

As I listened to a episode (webisode) on the Mormon Channel I was thinking of you. The lady shared her experience with breast cancer and it reminded me of how strong and brave you are. I just want to thank you for your example of faith, strength, and a positive attitude. You are amazing and I enjoy watching you enjoy life through your blog.

David Little said...

Hello! This may seem like a strange comment from a strange person years after this blog was posted, but perhaps you can help me out. I'm trying to build the Grandin Press building in a computer game called MineCraft, but I've never actually been there...

You have some of the best interior shots I've seen, but do you have any video or enough pictures to make most of a panoramic image of the interior of rooms? Weird, I know. But if you can help me, that would be great.