Tuesday, May 25, 2010

My Brain Beats To It's Own Drum

Ok, so you've heard that before about people haven't you? People that have their own way of doing things. Well I feel like I have MY way of wanting to do things and my brain has its way of wanting to do things. In other words, I think my brain is beating to its own drum. I wish it would let me be in charge..but unfortunately it is not cooperating with my plan.

So, here's the update:
Good News: There are no new tumors! Yeah! That's always a relief! So we are grateful that although annoying we are still dealing with the same spot of trouble.

The Rest of the News: Basically Dr. Jensen can not tell whether the growth in my brain is radiation necrosis (swelling of dead tissue) or if it is new growth. That is still to be determined.

So this is the unknown. The known issues are as follows:
1. There is a lot of swelling/irritation in the brain that is causing me to have headaches, numbness and a seizure.
2. There is more of this than the Dr. is comfortable with at this point in my recovery process.
3. There is a chance that my brain may absorb the tissue within the next month or so.
4. There is a chance the my brain may not absorb this tissue and it'll continue to irritate me and cause problems as it has in the past.

So, given these known issues, we discussed our options with Dr. Jensen at great length. We finally decided on a treatment plan or plan of action for the next month. Here it is:

I will continue on steroids for the next month. I'll adjust them as I feel necessary depending on my symptoms. If I have another seizure I'll start on anti-seizure drugs, for now I'm spared this drug, which I'm so grateful!

June 21st I will have a follow up MRI, as well as 2 more detailed MRI tests that I haven't had done previously. Taking all these tests will help Dr. Jensen to make a more educated guess about what to do in July. Depending on my symptoms and the results of my scans we'll decide what to do going forward. One of these two decisions will be made on June 22nd:

1-If things are progressing positively and my brain looks better--we'll continue to watch it and hope it will resolve itself, aka my brain needs to absorb this tissue!

2-If things do not improve or get worse, or the detailed MRI scans show definite growth, aka cancer cells, then I will most likely be scheduled for another Crainiotomy --Open Brain Surgery--in July. The purpose of this would be to remove the tissue causing these issues. It has to leave my brain somehow so if it doesn't do it on its own then we have to force the issue.

So there you have it! I don't know what more to say....these are the facts...I'm trying to soak it all in! I'm trying to be realistically optimistic.....but realizing my Brain's past behavior I'm not too confident in its future behavior, so that isn't reassuring. Who knows though? Maybe my brain will decide to finally listen to me...after all, aren't I really the boss?? =)

Thanks for all the continued support and prayers!
Love, Heidi

3 comments:

mb said...

Thank you for sharing Heidi - I am sorry you have to go through this but I know it will work out and soon you'll be healthy again!

Jo Deann said...

Thanks for keeping us updated. We will keep you in our prayers....You deserve to be healthy!!! Hugs from the Meyer clan.

cfearn said...

Sorry to hear about your latest challenges. I will keep you in my thoughts.