Saturday, July 31, 2010

Hi from Heidi

Well, its been two weeks since my surgery and I am just getting onto my computer for the first time. This recovery has been going slower than the last one..which was also slow..so I am just now feeling up to getting on my computer. As it is I've tried for several days and my head has hurt too much so I'm not sure how often I'll be on, but at least I'm going to try to connect with the world again.

Yesterday I ventured out to the Dr. to get my 50 staples removed from my head. That was not pleasant, and I'm still quite sore, but it is nice to know that the staples are out and my head can continue to heal. I'm very weak and am still not walking much at all. Scott has taken me walking downstairs 3 times but I can not walk without help. I'm very uneasy on my feet and I've had issues with muscle tone and control so I'm not safe to walk alone. Today I did a few laps around the island in my kitchen and until I got woozy I was feeling encouraged..it felt good to walk.

I knew this recovery would be harder than last time. They prepared me for that. I knew that just the sheer fact that this was the SECOND time my body was going to go through this was going to be a challenge. Add to that the fact that the surgery was more invasive and it just seals the deal. Although I'm frustrated by my lack of improvement I'm trying to remind myself that eventually I will be back to my normal self..its just going to take a long time. I hope to wean off pain meds this week which will help me feel less tired and foggy. Right now I'm still on a lot of meds, another thing that is slowing down my recovery this time.

Anyhow, I don't think I can sit up any longer so I'll end this post now before my head starts screaming too much. Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers and I'll try to keep in touch in the coming days. I've enjoyed reading your comments!
Love, Heidi

6 comments:

Rachel said...

Glad to hear from you! I know you want to be back to normal but you did have brain surgery!!! You'll be up and doing the things you want in no time. Just wanted to let you know that I was thinking about you. You are a very brave woman!!
You can do this!
-Rachel

Vickie said...

So happy to hear from you!! Just keep hanging in there. We're all praying very hard for you!!

Grandma said...

So glad you were able to get up and post. It is always good to hear from you. As you know, our prayers and fasts have been for you. Jim will be there with Scooter next week. Scooter goes to the Temple on Sat. and they leave on Sun. Hope they can be of some help. Love You

Sue said...

We drove through Salt Lake yesterday and I sent a lot of good thoughts your way. So excited to see your blog this morning, was expecting another one from Scott. You will be back to your old self soon. Take care!!!

Jo Deann said...

It is so good to hear from YOU!!! You have the strength to get through this. With the Lord's help and love, prayers and help from your family, neighbors and friends you will overcome this battle, just like you have the rest. There is definitely a reason while you are still here being our HERO. WE LOVE YOU TONS. We'll continue to pray for a speedy recovery for you. Hugs to the kids and Scott. Jo Deann

Aly said...

Heidi-it's good to hear from you! You are such a strong, brave woman. I admire your fighting spirit. Hang in there, be patient, and keep fighting. You'll continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.